The Visitation

Mary's visit to Elizabeth is another part of the Christmas story we hear every year. Again, how does this reflect on me and us today?

It must have been discomfiting to Mary's parents for her to take off in what, according to Scripture, was a sudden manner. Mary was probably needed to help with chores in her own household and travel was an expense that her family might not have been able to afford. In addition, she was betrothed to Joseph. Did her parents think it was a little odd that after a betrothal she takes off when she should have been preparing for her marriage? Did they question her? Try to keep her from going? We'll never know but these are things I would ask my own children. Here's what it would probably sound like:

Me: Congratulations on your engagement! Why are you packing?

Kid: I'm going to visit my cousin--the one who lives half-way around the world (that is about the distance to Elizabeth's house in Mary's time comparitively speaking).

Me: You're going to visit your cousin now? What about your chores? You promised you would take out the trash today and do the dishes. What about your fiance/e? What does he/she (depending on which child I'm talking to) say about this sudden trip? Are you skipping out on your finals? What will that do to your financial aid and your scholarship?

Kid: Well, mom, I heard that my cousin is pregnant. I know that she's 60 years old but miracles do happen.

Me: Riiiiiiight!

Kid: But Mom, I gotta' go. An angel told me to go. An angel from God.

Me: Riiiiiiight! I think I need to set up an appointment with a counselor for you.

Did my kids ever prompt me that we needed to go see someone and I responded negatively to them? Did I poo-poo or diminish their need and request? Was God trying to speak to me through them that someone needed me and I missed out on being God's presence to that person? If so, my friend missed out but I missed out, too. I wasn't listening to God's voice through others.

So Mary sets out on her way. Who knows if she was able to send word ahead or not? So Mary sets out, uninvited, after just finding out she's pregnant by God. What is running through her mind? Does she wonder if Elizabeth will welcome her or send her back home? And what about Elizabeth? This is how I see this in playing out in most homes today and, for example, my home.

Knock, knock, knock

Kim:  Omigosh, someone's at the door. I wonder who it is? We never have company. (I peer out the window looking to see who it is or a car that I can identify.) Omigosh, it's my cousin Mary. What's she doing here? The place is a mess and I haven't picked up any extra groceries. She's brought enough luggage to indicate she's planning on staying awhile. Where's the air mattress? (I open the door.) Hi Mary, Come on in. It's so good to see you. You'll have to excuse the house. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to clean. Sit down (and I quickly clear a place on the sofa). Let me get you some pop or coffee.

Now this may seem irreverent and I don't mean it that way. This is a contrast to how I see visitors played out today versus the greeting Elizabeth gives Mary. Elizabeth opens her heart to Mary and Mary responds in a beautiful prayer of praise.

Do we have visitors that come our way and, instead of rejoicing in the blessed moment of coming together, get flustered about groceries, the messy house or whatever? Do we miss the specialness of the moment because of all the extra stuff in our minds? What's more important to us--our house, our groceries or the person who came to see us? Is the visitor not just a friend but a special gift from God sent my way? If so, I better spread wide the door and welcome them in with open arms.

How many times do we feel a nudge to visit someone or call them up on the phone? Do we follow through or do we put the feeling aside because we have other, more important, things to do. Do we drop what we're doing and follow that nudge? When we get that feeling, is there a possibility that God is speaking to our heart that that person needs us at that moment? They need to hear our voice, need a hug or whatever? And if we follow up and make the visit, is our mind on that person, or whether or not the house is untidy and the cupboard is bare. Are we acting as God's presence for that person?

So, the next time God speaks to me about someone will I make that visit or brush it aside? Will I open my door and be thankful for the visitor or will I fret about my house? Will I allow God to speak and work through me and these visits? I hope so. I hope I can be aware of God's gentle nudges and respond accordingly.

What about you? Will you be God's visitor? God's visitee? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Luminous Mystery--The Wedding at Cana

Underwear is a Gift

Hunger Games--Is there something else going on?