Manners/Courtesy

I'm convinced more and more that a lot of people should be living in pig pens and not let loose in the world. This becomes more and more apparent to me at restaurants and theaters.

After a movie (and my hubby and I go to LOTS of movies), the theater is littered with cups that often spill, popcorn, candy wrappers and other disgusting detritus. It's disgusting. I've seen beautiful new theaters reduced to looking like garbage dumps. Why don't people pick up their trash and take it out of the theater. At the door of every theater we've been to there are large trash cans crying out to be filled. Why don't people use them? To me, it's no different than littering on the streets/roads/highways. That is now against the law? People have to dump their trash at the next gas station or rest stop. Why is theater behavior so different?

Now, I can imagine what you're thinking...the theater hires workers to clean up. That's true, but isn't there some level of courtesy here that we can all take part in? The theaters will have plenty to clean up just mopping and sweeping. Besides, why should I expect them to clean up my mess? I should be responsible for my own trash, thank you very much! Is going to a theater so very different from visiting someone's home? I was raised and raised my kids to pick up after yourself at someone's home. When you finish eating, you carry your plate into the kitchen if at all possible. It's a courtesy. Does that mean that the host is incapable? No, it means that you have the courtesy and appreciation to be helpful and gracious.

Another time I see this disgusting behavior of trash is at restaurants. I've never been a server but I have a daughter and a step-daughter that have been. In short, it is HARD work. A server earns every penny because it is exhausting, mind-numbing, and often demeaning labor. Yet oftentimes at a restaurant I see people leave the tables looking like pigs ate there instead of human beings. There is trash all over the table, floor and chairs/booths. Instead of having to clear the table, I often think that a firehose would be much easier.

I understand that if there are tiny children involved, some of this cannot be helped but, even with kids, manners should be taught. Kids can be taught at a very early age that, if they want to eat the meal provided at a restaurant, they will sit in their chair at the table. They will not be half-on/half-off with food being dripped/dropped/thrown every which way. Lack of compliance will mean removal from the restaurant and losing out on the meal. This only happens once, maybe twice, and children learn the consequences of losing a meal very quickly. Adults can also learn that if they spill something (this happens to me lot), they can wipe it up with a napkin and try to keep the table somewhat civilized looking.

Also, kids do not have to go to every restaurant with their parents. Kids should be taught early on that they are not adults and that some activities (like fine dining) are reserved for the grown-up folks. We seem to be living in a culture where everyone feels like kids belong everywhere. I guess I'm getting into my dotage because I strongly disagree with this. I often see people bring little bitty kids into really upscale restaurants. It usually spells disaster because the meals are served slowly and the kids become impatient. The lovely, quiet evening for all the other adults in the restaurant is disturbed by screaming kids running up and down the aisles of the restaurant. Hire a sitter and, if you can't afford one, do some baby-sitting swapping with friends and/or neighbors.

I think it all boils down to the Golden Rule. Treat servers/theater workers and a host of other laborers as you want to be treated. Is that so difficult? No. Does it require some extra thought on our part? Probably so but it will quickly become habit and you will receive high marks from the workers you help out. If each of us does our part, we can all enjoy life a little more.

In closing, I apologize to all servers, etc., who have helped me in the past where I may have not cleaned up as much as I should have. You work hard! Thanks for all your efforts to make my going-out experiences so nice.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Luminous Mystery--The Wedding at Cana

Scraps of Life