Inspiring Thoughts

Came across some lovely stories in old paperwork. They are too good not to share. Here goes:

BE A QUEEN

Oprah Winfrey said the following in a commencement address to the graduates of all-female Spelman College in 1993:

Be a queen. Dare to be different. Be a pioneer. Be a leader. Be the kind of woman who in the face of adversity will continue to embrace life and walk fearlessly toward the challenge. Take it on! Be a truth seeker and rule your domain, whatever it is--your home, your office, your family--with a loving heart.

Be a queen. Be tender. Continue to give birth to new ideas and rejoice in your womanhood. My prayer is that we will stop wasting time being mundane and mediocre. We are daughters of God--here to teach the world how to love.

It doesn't matter what you've been through, where you come from, who your parents are--nor your social or economic status. None of that matters. What matters is how you choose to love, how you choose to express that love through your work, through your family, through what you have to give to the world.

Be a queen. Own your power and your glory!


The next one is from an email that was circulated. Don't know if it's true or not and I'm not sure it matters. What does matter is the message behind the story.

It was a busy morning, approximately 8:30 am, when an elderly gentleman, in his 80's, arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb.

He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him.

I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, we began to engage in conversation. I asked him if he had a doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I then inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for awhile and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we talked, and I finished dressing his wound, I asked if she would be worried if he was a bit late. he replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.

I was surprised and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?" He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left; I had goose bumps on my arm, and thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life."

True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be and will not be. 

ATTITUDE
by Charles Swindol

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.
Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.
It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, or say, or do.
It will make or break a company...a church...a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.
We cannot change our past--we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.
We cannot change the inevitable.
The only thing we can is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and
90% how I react to it.


ALL I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LIFE I LEARNED FROM MY GIRLFRIEND

The best things in life are "girl things." Never break a date with a girlfriend to go out with a man. Great minds think alike, assuming they are female. An understanding girlfriend is cheaper than a therapist. You're perfect just the weight you are. There's a little wild woman in each of us. What's a bad hair day between girlfriends? Girls just want to have fun. Gems may be precious, but girlfriends are priceless.


HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE by Lou Tice

What would it take to make you happy? Thank about your answer for a moment.

Now, I know some of you think that if you only had this or that particular thing, you'd be happy. Others believe that if you were only in love with someone wonderful who loved you back, then you'd be happy. And there are probably still others who believe that if God would work a miracle and cure you or someone you love of an illness, that would make you happy.

But I want to tell you something. Happiness is a choice you make, not something that does or doesn't happen to you. You can choose to be happy right now, no matter what you have or don't have.

The first step is gratitude. If you develop and heighten your powers of appreciation by focusing on the beauty in your life instead of the imperfections, you will be halfway there. I guarantee that you will see an abundance of beauty in your life, regardless of your surroundings or circumstances, if you will only look for it.

Once you can see it--appreciate it! Not just intellectually--let it give you real joy. You see, the time to be happy is now, the place to be happy is here, and the reasons to be happy are all around you. So--what are you waiting for?


PLEASE TOUCH ME by Anonymous


I am your baby; please touch me.
Not just when you feed and diaper me,
but stroke my legs, my arms, my back, my head.
Hold me close in tenderness that says, "I love you."

I am your teenager; please touch me.
I need to feel a bond of love
coming through your hands, your arms.
I need to see it in your eyes, hear it in your voice.
Even when we disagree, some of me is still a child.
Please touch me!

I am a child with family of my own.
Please, put your arms around me, Mother, Father.
When my heart aches with heartaches you have known,
now that I am a parent, I see you differently, and love you more.
When you embrace your grandchildren, don't forget me.

I am your aging parent. Please touch me
the way my mother did when I was young.
My hair is coarse and gray, but please stroke it.
Embrace my tired body, I need your strength.
Please touch me.

Another one with no title:

"Your task?--To build a better world," God said.

To which I answered, "How?
This world is such a large, vast place,
so complicated now,
and I so small and useless,
there's nothing I can do."

But God in all his wisdom said,
"Just build a better you!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Luminous Mystery--The Wedding at Cana

Underwear is a Gift

Hunger Games--Is there something else going on?