The Little Things

I think all of us, at one time or another, forget that it's the little things that are often the most fun and memorable. For instance, my parents, hubby and kids LOVE our tradition with Christmas stockings. It's something that makes our holidays. It's a little thing but we all have fun, lots of laughs and look forward to it each year.

Well, I recently came across a little thing that was lots of fun. I picked up a book several months ago titled The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life. The book was written by a fellow Kansan, Kathy Patrick, and describes her life but uses books she has read as a springboard for various topics in her book. It's fun and enlightening to review her list of favorite books at the end of each chapter. She writes in a conversational manner and I felt like she was talking to me in a one-to-one conversation as I read the book. The cover alone draws your attention with a group of women laughing, wearing tiaras and dressed in leopard prints. Those women were having fun!

Well, I learned in a roundabout way, that Kathy's bookstore/beauty shop, Beauty and the Book, is located in Jefferson, TX. Hmmmm...we were going to Texas over the Memorial Day weekend. Would Jefferson, TX, be on the way? I checked Google maps and Jefferson, was sort of on the way. All I had to do was call the shop and see if Kathy was available for a new do at the time that we were driving through. I called and she was available. Wahoo!We were on our way.

So last Thursday we drove to Jefferson. It's a very cute town with lots of bed and breakfasts, boutique shops and restaurants. We found Kathy's shop and walked in. The shop is a riot of colors, books and hair salon stuff. Every square inch of the shop is something new to be explored and discovered. The books she sells are in a wide variety of topics and she specializes in new authors. Kathy can tell you in detail about most of the authors and elaborate on the types of books each author writes. She exudes enthusiasm about everything "books." She is also a great hairdresser. It was a delight to talk books and hair all at the same time.

Kathy has sponsored 542 chapters of her book clubs (The Pulpwood Queens) and each club reads her selection of books during the year. That's a whole lot of readin' goin' on! Her goal is to get as many people reading as possible and she and her Queens spend a lot of time fund-raising to buy books for kids.

Was this a really big thing, going to a beauty shop, as vacations or activities go? No. I get my hair done every 5 or 6 weeks. Is it the first time I've been in a bookstore? No. Is it the first time I've been to a beauty shop/bookstore? Yes! Did I have a blast? Yes! Did it take a lot of planning and extra money? No. Was it still fun and memorable? You bet!!!

I challenge everyone to find the little offbeat things to do in life, the out-of-the-way places to go and things to do and see what you find and discover. It's well worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Luminous Mystery--The Wedding at Cana

Underwear is a Gift

Hunger Games--Is there something else going on?